Once upon a time in Texas, there was a girl with an appetite and a dream...

2.22.2006

Have you met my ranting Grinch?

Mine though, is an Olympics Grinch. I don't go ca-razy over the summer Olympics, and I care even less about the winter ones. I mean, I could really care less if they EVER EVEN HAPPENED. The only shining moment in my Olympic-related memories was seeing Mary Lou Retton get a 10 on her vault routine in '84. (It ws '84, right?) Then I met her at Astroworld the next summer, or so, and got her autograph. At 10 years old, I was almost as tall as her. I was starstruck!

I hold no feelings for the Winter Olympics other than irritation over my regular programming being interrupted--for goodness sake, it seems as though ESPN has taken over the world for 2 weeks. I almost cannot turn my head without hearing or seeing some reference to the games. And like a computer without a screensaver, the Olympic rings have burned their image into my weary, weary eyeballs.

So, tell me that I am horrible for not liking this worldwide obsession that comes around an all-too-frequent-every-2-years! I prefer 2 weeks of Wimbledon, or a Lance Armstrong-led Tour de France. Now that's something I can get behind and cheer for. Tell me that I am an unpatriotic pessimist lacking love of competitive sport! Tell me that you'll never read my blog again because I have an unpopular opinion! Just tell it to my Olympic Grinch, he don't take no gruff offa noooooobody.

(Post Publication note:
I am sorry if this admission has shamed my family and caused spontaneous rioting in light of my anti-Olympic statements.)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how funny! People at my office are talking about the Olympics and can't believe in a sports household like mine that we aren't watching but it's just not one of those things that ever caught on for me.....give me college football any day of the week! I too, am an Olympics Grinch!

2/23/2006 12:02 AM

 
Blogger Tracie P. said...

i am not alone afterall...

2/23/2006 2:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tra I love your stories.

2/23/2006 6:21 AM

 
Blogger melusina said...

Bah, slippery slidey death sports? People sliding and falling? Pileups on the cross country ski course?

It is all fun!

2/25/2006 10:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have ALWAYS hated the Olympics - it is soooo boring - and it is so funny to me what a reaction I get when I say so. People look at me like I just said I hate Jesus or something. But I couldn't watch the Today Show for two weeks and I really missed Katie...

3/05/2006 1:48 PM

 
Blogger Tracie P. said...

oh lena !heehee...the sweet sound of olympic hatin'!

3/05/2006 4:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home