Once upon a time in Texas, there was a girl with an appetite and a dream...

3.14.2006

I love the smell of Tex-Mex in the morning

You know what I miss? A good chorizo and potato breakfast taco with really hot salsa from Taco Shack. People here often react with esophageal spasms when I tell them stories of eating a good, hearty Tex-Mex breakfast.

In fact, if what Italians eat for breakfast doesn't have "high fructose corn syrup" as it's first ingredient and cream, lard, and straight-to-blood glucose as it's following ingredients it is just not acceptable.

My niece and nephew thought that I had died and gone to live in heaven when I told them that Italian children get to eat cookies and cake for breakfast. It's true, I tell you.

How do they do this? These sweet breakfasts are not very substantial, and in Naples you don't eat lunch until around 2:00. I AM READY TO EAT THE WORLD by 11:30 most days! I have asked many a person how one can eat a couple of cookies at breakfast and have no problem waiting until 2 to eat?? Typical response, "I don't understand how people eat at noon." (?!?) Because slow death from starvation coupled with near-death fainting can make a girl want to do something crazy like eat at noon, THAT'S WHY.

A spicy protein breakfast, though, has the magical power to tide me over for at least 3 hours.

Am I complaining that occasionally I am forced to eat a hot nutella-filled croissant for breakfast lest I seem rude to refuse what has been lovingly baked at the local pasticceria? Would I dare say that a big, warm, whole-milk cappucino isn't just what I need to get me going sometimes? Would I lie and say that I don't enjoy the way the cookies get all half-mushy and half-crunchy IN that cappucino?

Absolutely not.

All I am saying is that you can take a girl out of Texas, but she'll still want a little piece of home every now and then.

17 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/14/2006 2:59 AM

 
Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Sorry to tell you, but we eat lunch at noon (lpm if we are late). Maybe you just need to head farther north for an earlier breakfast! hehehehe! I will think of you today when we sit down for lunch! :-)

Cyn

3/14/2006 3:01 AM

 
Blogger cristina said...

a casa nostra, it is usually continental breakfast during the week - bread/jam/coffee etc and then a good hearty english breakfast on saturday or sunday: scrambled eggs, sausage, the works ;) overall eating habits, huh? Did someone mention cereal?

3/14/2006 4:03 AM

 
Blogger Sicilian said...

Ok now I know where my early childhood breakfasts originated. I grew up with a choice of coffee, white crackers with jelly, or cookies with milk every day of my life. Once in a while we had Rice Krispies, but most of the time we had cookies and milk.
Nearly everyone I know wonders why it is I am so healthy. I attribute it to those fantastic breakfasts I grew up having.
Glad to know it originated in the old country.

3/14/2006 5:20 AM

 
Blogger Vivi said...

Amen, sistah! Apart from the fact that I miss Tex Mex so much, the other reason I'm so ready to go home is A Proper Breakfast, including crispy bacon, bagels and cream cheese, great big pots of coffee, and OOOH hash browns!!! *sigh*

Good thing I just ate lunch!

3/14/2006 6:18 AM

 
Blogger Tracie P. said...

mmm...hashbrowns. but they MUST be crispy and brown on top!

3/14/2006 9:07 AM

 
Blogger Tracie P. said...

did everyone see that? annika's stomach was convulsing as she pecked at the keyboard trying to connect egss and bacon with 5 a.m.. annika, you definitely belong in italy!

3/14/2006 12:05 PM

 
Blogger kate said...

Oh, stop-- now you're making *me* hungry! We have the tiny breakfasts and late lunches (3pm) too, but a lot of people have a "second breakfast" in between...

3/14/2006 1:55 PM

 
Blogger nikinpos said...

I was gonna write a breakfast thing, but you beat me to it!!! I even took afoto of Carlo's mushy cookies in caffe latte- or hedgehog food as I call it!

3/14/2006 2:55 PM

 
Blogger Tracie P. said...

well, you stole my vesuvius covered in snow picture!!! JUST KIDDING! write it anyway--i love reading your blog and it is soooo much fun because we have such similar experiences, i want to know your take on it. besides, you're british--don't you miss beans for breakfast?? :)

3/14/2006 3:08 PM

 
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

I'm not a big breakfast fan ... my husband can't figure that one out as he loves his bacon, eggs, etc. Given a choice, brunch would be my first meal of the day. But alas, it's supposed to be more healthy to be a grazer so a grazer I must be!

I'm not a big fan of Tex-Mex ... though I have recently become addicted to burritos. Very yummy!!!!

3/14/2006 8:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tracie - in honor of your sacrifices and breakfast shortcomings there in italy, you are forcing me to pick up a breakfast taco tomorrow on my way to work! there goes the diet... hehe

How do they eat that mushy bread in the morning!?! though i could be persuaded for a nutella filled croissant. YUM.

3/14/2006 9:59 PM

 
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Awww. Tex-Mex will always stay in you, no matter where you live. Kinda like what you said! Loved your post :)

3/15/2006 1:36 AM

 
Blogger melusina said...

I can relate to wanting a good ol' home cookin' breakfast, but since I don't wake up until 2pm, the idea of time is moot.

Greeks eat "lunch" around 2pm, when people get home from work. Then it is siesta time.

Dinner is even later, usually 9 or 10, but the midday lunch is the bigger meal of the day.

Of course, if a Greek says "I'll call you around noon" that can mean anywhere from noon to 4pm. Skewered since of time, these Europeans have.

3/15/2006 1:24 PM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

The trick as most I know do is:

Coffee
Briosche and Capuccino

then at 10 another trip for coffee and Brisoche or in Naples la sfogliatella.

It makes the morning much more enjoyable!

3/17/2006 10:11 AM

 
Blogger Tracie P. said...

la sfogliatella riccia...che buona!

3/17/2006 10:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honestly don't know how you live without migas.

3/19/2006 1:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home