Let's all give a round of applause for the pizza
It's only fair to mention that in Italy, pizza is almost always accompanied by beer, but being the rebel that I am, I decided to go for the Greco. This particular pizza is called Isola Verde (green island, the nickname for Ischia) and if you ever come, you MUST try it.
Here's what I loved about good pizza:
1. Before the first bite, you can smell basil and bread.
2. As the pizza approaches your mouth, the scent of basil is supported by the milky smell of mozzarella and fresh tomatoes.
3. As your teeth break into the perfectly chewy dough, the pass this layer to give you the gift that is the flavor of mozarella di bufula (sweet, rich, unique), followed by a sweet/tart hit of fresh cherry tomatoes, basil, and a raw green crunch of spicy arugula.
4. THEN, there's that briney, porky love that is prosciutto on top of it all! PROSCIUTTO! Where I'm from that's called a-gildin' the lily.
5. As you continue to chew, you are rewarded with the salty bite of shaved parmiggiano, finished with the slightly smoky flavor of the bread that is lovingly donated by a well-seasoned wood-burning oven.
It's perfection, I tell you. Delicious, simple, Italian perfection.