Once upon a time in Texas, there was a girl with an appetite and a dream...

6.21.2006

That's more like it

So the other day I had to take some clients on a tour of the Tommasone winery. As we were ascending the hill in the taxi, I looked behind me to speak with one of the ladies. In the background I saw a blue sea that stretched for miles, and in front, the encroaching vineyards. All I could think was, "Am I actually getting paid for this?"

As we got out of the cab, I started translating the technical details of the winemaking process. We passed through the vines that overlook the clear water to get to the gazebo-covered table where we would have the wine tasting. One by one, the plates of salami, cheese, bread, and glasses of wine arrived. I took my first sip of the cool glass of Pithecusa white while we chatted away, and all I could think was, "Am I actually getting paid for this?"

Three hours later, we headed back to the sailboat, and the husbands asked me if I could come with them to buy some cashmere sweaters at a famous store called "Loro Piano." I agreed, of course. We hopped back into the cab, headed to the shopping street, and the guys bought their sweaters. Naturally, they were parched, so they asked me choose a good white wine from the closest outdoor cafe. We sat down, they finished their aperitivo, and we went back to pier. They asked me to come on board where the wives were waiting to go eat, they had spent too much money and needed "a buffer." I agreed of course. I gossiped with the wives as the setting sun threw pink reflections on the water, and all I could think was, "Am I actually getting paid for this?"

After a little while, I got off the boat to arrange the reservations for their dinner. I went to tell them that their ride was waiting, and that I wanted to say goodbye because they were leaving early the next morning. Very subtley, a 200 euro bill was placed in my hand for my time and patience, and all I could think was...

"OH MY GOD!! I AM getting paid for this." :)

24 Comments:

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Tracie B! Glad to hear you like your new job and things are going well.

6/21/2006 10:05 AM

 
Blogger Vivi said...

Christ! Who do I have to do to get a job like that??

6/21/2006 10:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are living a blessed life there in Italy Tracie - Thanks for sharing it with us! Mayo

6/21/2006 11:27 AM

 
Blogger A Novelist said...

Your new job sounds wonderful. I'm very happy for you. :)

6/21/2006 1:10 PM

 
Blogger Di Mackey said...

ohdeargod ... well done you, you know the language, you know your stuff, you deserve it

there ... wasn't i lovely.

i have to stop reading your blog, you're messing with me living in belgium.

6/21/2006 1:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, I know what Loro Piano is. It is featured regularly in my Town & Country magazines so you know how upset I am with you now!

And to think I was worrying about you!!!

I bet those people love you - you are the perfect hostess / guide! This is awesome.

6/21/2006 3:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful job. Glad you like it too.

6/21/2006 9:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, since everyone else is being so nice, I'm going to lay the truth on you now! When I first saw your page, I thought "Oh YEAH, FINALLY a NEW post!" but as a read through it my thoughts turned more to "I hate you, I really do" Ha, just kidding! You know I love you - but maybe I do hate you just a little too ;) Don't forget about us "little people" over in Texas!

6/21/2006 10:06 PM

 
Blogger Alfonso Cevola said...

do-doo-doo yourself

6/21/2006 11:49 PM

 
Blogger Sicilian said...

So glad to hear something of the "Rich and Famous". You shall have many a story to tell. Enjoy it girl. . .the rest of us are jealous.
Ciao

6/22/2006 1:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess those weren't Dutch tourists with the more than generous tip! You've probably deserved it so enjoy it!!

6/22/2006 5:42 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Welcome Back Tracie b., we missed you even though you were obviously having too good a time to think about us.

6/22/2006 7:07 AM

 
Blogger Darbs said...

You are truly blessed...to have a job that you love and in no way resembles "work" is a beautiful thing! I hope you never stop asking yourself that question!

6/22/2006 7:37 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, you get PAID for that?

Jealous

6/22/2006 12:44 PM

 
Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Congrats on your new job. It sounds like a dream!

Cyn

6/23/2006 1:07 AM

 
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

It sounds so wonderful, but I wouldn't call it luck. You have a knowledge base (Italian wines especially ) that most people don't have. If some rich tourists asked me to suggest wines for them (and I were resposible for their good time) I'd be shaking in my boots! You deserve it!

6/23/2006 5:03 AM

 
Blogger Dear AL said...

OMG! You're getting paid for that?Where do I sign up?!!!

6/24/2006 1:50 PM

 
Blogger Kathy G said...

We just returned from our cruise -- I LOVED Venice and will absolutely have to go back. I love all of Italy. You are one lucky gal to live there. :)

6/25/2006 1:22 PM

 
Blogger dawnelaine said...

Every time I read one of your post's I get more and more jealous of your life. Luckily for me, my 16 year old son say's once he's a rich and famous rock star, he'll buy me a house in Italy. Phew.. So I guess I'll be joining you one of these years.

6/27/2006 9:05 PM

 
Blogger Miss Kim said...

Wow Tracie--- you are so getting paid for it!

7/04/2006 1:26 PM

 
Blogger Corrie said...

lucky girl! i need a job like that. instead, i believe that i am getting paid for all of my jobs (and i believe i'm not getting paid enough!)...

new job teaching english on the beach starts next week. hope to have some moments like yours!

7/05/2006 6:19 AM

 
Blogger Cherry! said...

Hey there!

Is it possible for you to send me some info on these winemaking things you do?

I'm living in Parma.

7/12/2006 7:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go girl! I've been getting weekly $50 tips for helping a sweet elderly man with yoga. Life is good! I miss you.

T-Bird

7/19/2006 8:02 AM

 
Blogger mckay said...

lucky duck.

(i bet that doesn't translate well to italian)

7/19/2006 2:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home