Once upon a time in Texas, there was a girl with an appetite and a dream...

10.12.2006

30 what? 30 who? Thirty...one

Wednesday, I celebrated the first anniversary of my 30th birthday. In honor of this (not so) momentous occasion, I'd like to revisit my thoughts from exactly 1 year and 1 day ago regarding the whole 30s matter.

(No) more obsessing about 30
You know, I have realized that I am not really sad about turning thirty. Aside from the encroaching wrinkles, premature gray hair, and visions of turkey neck, I don't really mind getting older. I have finally put my finger on the problem. You know the feeling you have when you are about to leave your house to go on vacation for a couple of weeks and you have to check to make sure that all of the lights are off, the iron isn't on, all with that special obsessive/compulsive fervor? Or when you are on your last day visiting some foreign city and you are trying to make sure that you have seen all the museums that you should 'cause you've been sleeping too late and didn't get around to sightseeing yet, you know that feeling?

That's me, right now. I'm at the door, looking at the last decade, years that have all begun with a 2, making sure all of my memories are in place. New city, college, new friends, my niece and nephew, first job, Italy...yes, it's all there. The happy moments, the tragedies, the special people, events, risks and decisions. You know, I've grown quite an affection for my twenties. They dun' went and taught me a lot about this life, and I think I just may be the wiser for it.

So, I've decided, it's not 30 that that has created anxiety--it's leaving 20. Like that trusty old t-shirt you've have for years. It's so comfortable, it makes you happy, it's been with you through thick and thin. But inevitably it reaches the end of its sweet t-shirt life and you just have to move on.

Ok, I think I can close the door and leave now, everything is fine. The iron and the lights are turned off, and I made it to the museum in time. Here's to the next decade!


And if I MUST be honest, I'd have to say that this new t-shirt has been broken in and it fits me just fine.

Happy birthday to me :)

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auguri!

I feel your pain - I have 30 plus two right around the corner...

10/12/2006 5:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait til your 39 with the big 4 0 looming around the corner!
Now THAT is some scary stuff!

10/12/2006 6:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Tracie!!!

Wish we could have celebrated with you!

The thirties really aren't too bad. Glad I found a good dermatologist, though.

10/12/2006 7:01 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy birthday to you!!
34 isn't bad either.

:)

10/12/2006 7:02 PM

 
Blogger Texas Espresso said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Auguri!

Yeah - the first 4 anniversaries of 30 are all good but the 5th one... well a new t-shirt has appeared and isnt comfy yet.lol

stacy

10/12/2006 9:45 PM

 
Blogger Secret Mommy said...

Ha ha. I agree with Lena, as long as you know a good esthetician and dermatologist, the 30's aren't so bad. I've had the 4th anniversary of my 30th birthday, too, and I keep waiting to find out when people will consider me a "grown-up."

(maybe I should quit telling fart jokes...)

10/12/2006 10:14 PM

 
Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

Happy Birthday...I can't believe we are one day apart (though not the same year, sorry)!

10/13/2006 1:48 AM

 
Blogger Corrie said...

happy birthday! i loved the little retrospective view of the 20s...that's a good way of thinking about it. I'm still 2 years away, but I think you're right: I want to make sure the 20s are a time in my life to remember. nice post!

jackie

10/13/2006 4:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buon compleanno!
I've just remembered my 30th anniversary, nearly 6 years ago: I was thinking at the past and not at the future, exactly like now!
Roberto

10/13/2006 4:45 AM

 
Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

I love this new way of expressing birthdays...so, I celebrated the 9th anniversary of my 20th birthday in May... which means I'm catching up to you too.

AUGURONI!

10/13/2006 5:02 AM

 
Blogger Travel Italy said...

Auguri Tracie b.! I turn 46 on the 15th so you should feel like a baby!

10/13/2006 9:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Tracie! We will celebrate when you come to visit! Loved your post....my 30th is creeping up fast but I as of now I can honestly say I am looking forward to it! 30 is the new 20 right?!

10/13/2006 9:50 AM

 
Blogger miss tango said...

Happy Birthday fellow Libra girl!

10/13/2006 10:06 AM

 
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Happy Birthday Tracie B! Great way to look at your birthday. Every birthday is a gift, why not celebrate them?

Your 30's will fly by. Continue to enjoy them. :)

10/13/2006 10:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday fellow texan! i know that's where you picked up the 'anniversary' lingo, that's what all good texas ladies say. i just celebrated my 29th on october 1st and it was a grand time. i really feel like i finally know something about myself and it's very exciting. my twenties were full of raucous fun mixed with irresponsibility, but i truly look forward to my future. what an adventure awaits us all!

10/13/2006 10:53 AM

 
Blogger avery said...

Happy Birthday fellow libra and fellow Texan! When I turned 30 it was actually one of the best years of my life. Can't say the same for 31 or 32 but hopefully my 3rd anniversary of my 30th bday will prove otherwise. Anyway, best wishes and Aguri!!!!!

10/13/2006 11:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! May you have many, many more! Enjoy! :)

10/13/2006 4:16 PM

 
Blogger melusina said...

Happy Birthday! Libras rule all!

10/13/2006 4:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I love your blog!

The thirties are the best time for a woman - prime time baby!

10/14/2006 12:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the 31 club. Happy birthday, benedica e cient' anne. I thought of you some weeks ago, I was in Brooklyn and the people from Lacco Ameno have a statue of Santa Resituta there.

10/14/2006 1:05 AM

 
Blogger Lis said...

Happy belated birthday, Tracie! =)

10/14/2006 1:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday. This is my first post to your blog, and it had a lot to do with the fact that not only are you a Libra, but we share the smae birth day (though not the same year). I have three more years before I hit my third decade on this planet.

I enjoy reading your blog.

10/14/2006 3:06 PM

 
Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Wishing you a very happy 1st anniversary. Hope you had a great day, may all your wishes come!

Buon compleanno!
Cyn

10/14/2006 4:03 PM

 
Blogger Tracie P. said...

thanks for the happy birthdays! i didn't realize that there were so many libras out there. happy birthday to y'all too :)

kigo--never EVER STOP TELLING FART JOKES!

10/15/2006 9:25 AM

 
Blogger pamela said...

When you really stop to think of it, the true meaning is that you have started your 31st orbit around the sun.
So bon voyage! and may your next orbit be as great if not better than the last!

10/15/2006 9:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aside from the encroaching wrinkles, premature gray hair, and visions of turkey neck, yes you said all of that. Your mother takes offense to some of those terms, however I don't know why. None of them have anything to do with her and how she looks. Mom and I are looking to see which one resembles the turkey neck and neither one of us can see any wrinkles either. hmmmm, we do have an appointment with the optometrist!! Wow 31, you sure are making me and mom old. But we don't want you to stop getting older either. Love ya and tell everyone over there Ciao.

Your not so prematurely gray headed dad, well at least its not premature now anyway.

10/15/2006 11:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't have to use that 3, you know. 20-11 works just fine for me. Remember your students who even celebrated the 1/2 birthdays? They were on to something.

Tina Bug

10/17/2006 6:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I'm an American living in southern Italy, and I left behind my 20s on the 18th. Your list of the last decade's events so closely matched mine, it was kinda creepy. Thanks for sharing :)

10/24/2006 3:28 AM

 
Blogger erin said...

happy "Tracie B-day"!

I like how you put "first anniversary of your 30th birthday!"

4/27/2007 8:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home