Once upon a time in Texas, there was a girl with an appetite and a dream...

4.04.2007

Reunited



...and it feels so good."

I went to Austin last week. I lived there from 1995 until 2003, when I left for Italy. I love that city, but most of all I love the tacos. My friend woke me up Wednesday morning uttering the most beautiful words I've heard since someone taught me how to pronounce prosciutto:

"Tracie, I brought you some Taco Shack."

This, if you don't already know, is one thing I miss when I'm in Italy. And she showed up with a box of carne guisada, eggsbeansandcheese, sausageandegg, and...my all-time favorite:

POTATO.
AND.
CHORIZO.

With just a little bit of fresh and spicy salsa it's enough to make your stomach wonder what it ever did to deserve such a rude awakening, while making yo' mouth wonder what it ever did to deserve such pleasure.

And what could be more exciting than such sensory ambivalence? I don't know! Well, maybe I do. Whatever.

"We both are so excited 'cause we're-UH reunited hey hey..."

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Angelisa said...

Yum, Yum, & YUM!

Oh, Tracie, thanks for indulging me at 10.40 am in Monte di Procida...I can dream of a breakfast burrito (with chorizo & potatoes, yes!)

Btw, I found a great Greek Taverna yesterday in Chiaia. When you get back, wanna have some tzatsiki, souvlaki, dolmades, & greek salad with me?

4/05/2007 3:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but you have to follow it up with a Dirty's "Kum-Back" hamburger!

4/05/2007 5:02 AM

 
Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Chorizo and potato tacos? You're killing me!! I really miss that stuff.

4/05/2007 7:36 AM

 
Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

lol. Hope you get to have a nice margarita at Chuys while you there.

4/05/2007 12:47 PM

 
Blogger Tracie P. said...

angelisa--i'm doing what i can for the expat community ;) and, certo!

deirdre'--i loved some hill-bert's too

susan--i will too

nyc--didn't get to chuy's, but i did get to fonda san miguel...i'll have that photo coming up soon!

4/05/2007 4:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget Polvo's! My personal fave :)

4/05/2007 6:22 PM

 
Blogger Thistlemoon said...

Ah tastes of home! Man do I love chorizo! That stuff will wake you up in the AM.

Buona Pasqua!

4/06/2007 10:39 AM

 
Blogger Tracie P. said...

misti--i haven't! but I should have gotten my old stand-by...gambas alla plancha

jenndz--you too!

4/06/2007 11:12 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

As an Austinite, I can attest, Taco Shack is good eats! We have been grubbing on Casa Garcia, lately, off S. Lamar, but it's not 'to go' like the Shack.

If I see you in Ischia, I'll be sure to bring something Tex Mex from Austin. Guess it should be non-perishable, eh?

It's lunchtime and "all y'alls" talk has awoken my tummy...

4/06/2007 12:35 PM

 
Blogger Gypsy Purple said...

Wishing you a happy and blessed Easter

4/06/2007 11:27 PM

 
Blogger Cherrye said...

Ahhhhh..... (tear)

4/11/2007 9:42 AM

 
Blogger Kristi said...

Hi Tracie,
I found your blog thru Niki in Positano. I live in Austin and we love Taco Shack and all things tacos. You could mainline me with salsa.
We actually just returned from Mexico and had the best food! You can see some pics if you want to check my blog out - there is one amazing photo of some juevos rancheros that will make your mouth water!
Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I'd love to hear more about your decision to move to Italy - I'll do some research here on the blog.

Take care,
Kristi in Austin
Hook 'em ;)

6/30/2007 12:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home